What have you done with your Series 2 today ?

Started by Wittsend, Sep 01, 2024, 07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanglasgow

Always known the scottish vernacular for the tip as 'cowp'. Being a 'Johnny foreigner' myself and often accused of being English just because I didn't speak with a Glasgow accent I'm always amazed at the different spelling of words in a very small geographical area. Having worked in the East end of Glasgow for 30 years I still can't understand the indigenous Weegie after he's had a few pints.

Daisythelandie

Hi Nathan, you're right ofcourse, cowp it is, slip of the finger or maybe just typing faster than the brain can compute....
And no I'm not a weegie either.
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

simonbav

I slipped four hours' Land Rover work between other duties today and gladly got the wing repair countersunk riveted. I feel good ticking items off a shrinking list.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

RATA1

Socket finally arrived from Amazon.  A 1 11/16 and slightly too big for mine. It came off easily though with my monster DTW1001Z. Likely a 42mm would have fitted better.

The cover has been off before as there was a (cheap?) plastic seal in that offered no resistance on removal. Almost fell out! I replaced with a metal outer one from PA Blanchards.
The pulley is slightly grooved so I didn't fully seat the seal so might last until the engine comes out or I replace later.

Reassembled cover, pump and sump, so still  a few bits to do but bed time.

Found a 1" Whitworth socket on ebay so bought that for the next time.
S2 88
D4 XXV

Alan Drover

Although the antifreeze is being changed shortly out of curiosity I checked the state of it with a tester. The protection is well below anything our weather can throw at us but of course it doesn't give the state of corrosion protection.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RATA1

Finished putting mine back together! Flushed out the radiator while the sun was out at lunchtime and continued reassembly after work.
Put in new oil and new coolant and after final checks started first time.

Best bit is, no fluid leaks.

Got a bin bag full of oily paper towels/rags and several containers of oil and coolant to go to the tip.

Second best bit is the sun is forecast for Cheddar  :cool
S2 88
D4 XXV

Gareth

I cleared out the garage, so I could put the 109 away. It's been living outdoors all summer, so I'm sure she's happy to be back inside. Especially now the weather is turning.

Alan Drover

Piece of bling arrived today.
Now fitted.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

I added some 2mm ali to the foremost (rad panel) fixings of my o/s wing. I'll abrade and fill the corrosion voids with Araldite or Chemical Metal and re-drill the slots.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Seanlandy

Pondered which bolts to tighten first on the steering reassembly. Went for steering box to upper brackets, then brackets to bulkhead and then brackets to chassis. Seemed to make the most sense, then looked at fuel pipe size for the 300tdi. I reckon 1/4 for return and 5/16 for main feed, but... the union on the tank is wobbly in the housing and I wondered if this can be replaced without needing a whole new feed and also with the 5/16 or 8mm union. Also, what on earth are the size of the bolts in the top of the steering relay? I have nothing to fit them. Whitworth?

diffwhine

If you mean the 4 small bolts securing the top of the relay, they are special bolts. Still available though. They are probably a BA size, but I know the heads are an odd size.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

They are. Need to get them off to be able to get some oil in to loosen the relay.  Hopefully.

Peter Holden

Replaced both gearbox rubber mounts and the drivers side engine one.  I can't get the engine high enough to get the passenger side one out.  Whilst the passenger side floor was out I discovered yet another bit of failed welding done by the POs garage.  YOD  came to me with twin tanks, the passenger side tank was fitted by said garage and they had to add an extra outriggers at the front of the seatbox.  I have a step that bolts to this outriggers among other things.  Last September I clouted the step whilst greenlaning and it bent it slightly.  With the floor out I could see that the welding where the outriggers joins the chassis had failed.  Looking closely there is hardly any penetrative.  The outriggers has peeled back slightly.  I have pulled the outriggers back into place with a ratchet strap and tomorrow I will attend to the welding

Peter

GlenAnderson

Went and picked up a couple of pallets for my other wheeled project.

You cannot view this attachment.

cswagon

Fitted a recon pump from Bob Beck, quick service of the injectors and attended to a couple of leaking head studs.
Hopefully a few less leaks from the engine area. For now!
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.