What have you done with your Series 2 today ?

Started by Wittsend, Sep 01, 2024, 07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

Afternoon all. I had a very happy day. First I cleaned the idle jet on my little 720 genny that's now running as sweet as a nut, then I Tiger Sealed the repair angle ali into place on the wing. I only had time for a few jobs so rounded off cutting angle to weld a new battery clamp frame, though I've cut the long 'uns to the length of my current battery, not the length of the battery cradle so perhaps I'll re-cut some longer ones next weekend. By 'eck, didn't it chuck it down!
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

RATA1

Quote from: TimV on Sep 08, 2024, 12:43 PM
Quote from: RATA1 on Sep 08, 2024, 11:52 AMNot all 'lovely jobs' are done as a previous oil-tight engine now leaks oil out of the front crank oil seal after the oil change (last night) and the checking for leaks after start up this morning.

Guessing not a 5 minute job to fix that!

Not entirely sure how it can not leak at all, then leak after an oil change with the same grade!

If it isn't the military engine with the deeply recessed front pulley, do you need to borrow a slogging spanner to remove the pulley - I have one I can bring to Cheddar camp? 
Civvy series. Best I get dismantling. I still can't believe it leaks after an oil change.  ???
S2 88
D4 XXV

Gerty

Drove back from the LRO show at Belvoir.  Another excellent weekend, good to see the club well represented there.  The car park/camping area is as interesting as the show with the array of land rovers and camping set ups on show!

Peter Holden

Quote from: TimV on Sep 07, 2024, 03:23 PMThe red lever buzzes, so I've attached a bungee cord to it - which makes it quieter, but looks untidy.

The spring pn 243714 never seems to stay on, I've even tried tying it on - must be three of these springs I've got through. There has to be a better solution.

Today I took a spare red lever and bracket. The pivot is just a bolt. The hole through the bracket was very worn, so I made a bush on the lathe to fill it, having drilled out the bracket. A slight improvement to the slop on the lever. Not bothered to fit it, have another look tomorrow.
Tim have you got the correct pivot bolt with its little spring?

Peter

RATA1

Started dismantling.
Pretty sure the water pump could have stayed on but it was easier to get the bypass hose off.

I think the starter dog is 1 11/16" and reverse thread? Don't suppose anyone has one near Taunton I could borrow?
S2 88
D4 XXV

Alan Drover

I've got a spare imperial starter dog and the size is 1 inch Whitworth.
At a local event last year I tried to get such a spanner but with no luck. That event is on 14/15 September this year and I'm exhibiting my Land Rover so I'll try again. The Whitworth sockets in my ancient socket set go up to only 7/8.
It's a right hand thread.
A 1 11/16 AF is too small and 1 3/4 AF too big. I've tried the sockets.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

TimV

Quote from: RATA1 on Sep 08, 2024, 09:00 PMStarted dismantling.
Pretty sure the water pump could have stayed on but it was easier to get the bypass hose off.

I think the starter dog is 1 11/16" and reverse thread? Don't suppose anyone has one near Taunton I could borrow?
It's normal thread. Otherwise the starting handle would unscrew it!

diffwhine

Decided to move some engines about... Thought I'd top up the hydraulics in my crane as its been leaking for some time and I need to get the ram overhauled. Undid the filler bung in the side. There must have been some pressure in the reservoir because I've just had a bath in hydraulic ram oil. :thud

All clothes in the machine and a shower. I still smell of hydraulic oil...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GHOBHW

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 09, 2024, 12:45 PMDecided to move some engines about... Thought I'd top up the hydraulics in my crane as its been leaking for some time and I need to get the ram overhauled. Undid the filler bung in the side. There must have been some pressure in the reservoir because I've just had a bath in hydraulic ram oil. :thud

All clothes in the machine and a shower. I still smell of hydraulic oil...

you need to go lay under a land rover for a while, well used EP90 smells a lot better :cheers

RATA1

S2 88
D4 XXV

Seanlandy

Drilled and fit the return union on the fuel tank then fit under the seat where it should be. A bit tight as I think the outriggers may have been welded in without the tank as a datum. A bit of bending and cajoling and bolts in place. It seems okay.
Then got to tackling the refit of the steering box. Forgot how many nuts and bolts are were retaining the mounting brackets. 

Peter Holden

Just used YOD to go to the tip, garden centre and general shopping.  Filled up with diesel on the way home at 135.7p per litre.

Dash cam arrived today

Peter

TimV

Quote from: Peter Holden on Sep 08, 2024, 08:16 PM
Quote from: TimV on Sep 07, 2024, 03:23 PMThe red lever buzzes, so I've attached a bungee cord to it - which makes it quieter, but looks untidy.

The spring pn 243714 never seems to stay on, I've even tried tying it on - must be three of these springs I've got through. There has to be a better solution.

Today I took a spare red lever and bracket. The pivot is just a bolt. The hole through the bracket was very worn, so I made a bush on the lathe to fill it, having drilled out the bracket. A slight improvement to the slop on the lever. Not bothered to fit it, have another look tomorrow.
Tim have you got the correct pivot bolt with its little spring?

Peter
What spring are you referring to?

RATA1

Took my sump off in readiness of front cover removal (hopefully tomorrow) as the sump gasket leaks and the PO used what looked like half a tube of blue sealant round the perimeter to no effect.

Might as well do it right while I'm in there.

It was a bit sludgy/grubby. Better now.

Bought 20l of oil and some coolant from Smith and Allan. Even with the S2 discount code it was way cheaper, shipped, on ebay.

S2 88
D4 XXV

Daisythelandie

Had a load of stuff to go to the coup (tip) and now we have to ask nicely for a time slot to go, the guy at the gate didn't have us on his list but fortunately we brought the print out of the booking so 'tough, your booking system is crap', we got in and did the business. The Landy ran well towing a heavy bogie and got a few 'looks' on the way and even a wee kiddy in a pushchair gave us a wave, ah nice....
The Landy is starting much better when not being used for a month or so probably due to using a fuel preservative additive, one brief push of the starter and it fires up.

Dave. 
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.