News:

... and the sky is gray   

Main Menu

Series 2a fuel tank not fitting?

Started by W.Slow, Sep 08, 2024, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.Slow

Right, I'm in the process of reassembling my 1963 swb diesel, and have seemingly hit quite a major snag with the filler neck on the tank fouling the rear of the seat base.

So a bit of back story- this is a replacement tank- installed prior to me acquiring this vehicle back in 2019, I decided last October to do a full mechanical overhaul on it as it was getting pretty rough. When stripping it down there were many bodged repairs- mainly in this case there was a 3/4" square tube packing piece between the rear mounting flange on the tank and the chassis outrigger. Didn't think much of it at the time but it's biting me in the bum now!

So I have repaired the original chassis to the dimensions in the green bible this included putting all the outriggers in the "correct" place they were all over the place- IIRC the outriggers on the driver side were all "forward".
 This may explain the packing piece that someone used to angle the tank in order for the filler neck to clear. I think it was actually pretty close even then.
 Now this can't be right so do I blame the new tank?
My bad use of a tape measure?

And finally what is your opinion on ways out of this hole?
I planned to solidly mount the tank as I believe that's how it left the factory being a relatively early 2a

Many thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.

Serious Series

You need to fit the rear tub 1st to see where the filler enters it.
Did the 2A not have the single rear bolt fixing like the S3 which was done to stop the tanks failing , this arrangement includes a spacer which drops the rear of the tank a little .
After market tanks rarely have the filler tube as close to back edge as original design.

Birdsnest55

I have had new tanks with the filler neck 3/4" difference from an original. These were returned as usless.
Does your old tank fit?
Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Seanlandy

Quote from: Serious Series on Sep 08, 2024, 12:52 PMYou need to fit the rear tub 1st to see where the filler enters it.
Did the 2A not have the single rear bolt fixing like the S3 which was done to stop the tanks failing , this arrangement includes a spacer which drops the rear of the tank a little .
After market tanks rarely have the filler tube as close to back edge as original design.
My LW has the single hole at the back, but don't suppose if matters on mine, as I have to lift the seat to fill the tank anyway.

W.Slow

Okay thanks for the reply's-
So I'll blame the pattern part as per usual then!
Quote from: Birdsnest55 on Sep 08, 2024, 02:56 PMI have had new tanks with the filler neck 3/4" difference from an original. These were returned as usless.
Does your old tank fit?
Paul

Sadly I don't have the original tank as it was replaced before I got the vehicle- that would have been my first point of call if I did!

I'll be putting the rear tub back on in the near future so I'll hang on doing anything drastic for the time being, but I think it's probably a case of cutting the filler tube off and moving it back!

I had planned to solidly mount the tank as it did leave the factory that way, however if needs must I will go the rubber mounting method.

Many thanks again
William

simonbav

"I had planned to solidly mount the tank as it did leave the factory that way, however if needs must I will go the rubber mounting method."

Certainly by 1978 the tanks had three fixings at the front and one at the rear to insulate the tank from chassis induced flexing.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

2DieselMan

In my experience all the current After Market under Seat Fuel tanks are not Manufactured to the correct Original Dimensions, as the Rear Filler Tube is Welded on Too Far Forward.   Several years ago now, I bought many from different Manufactures/Suppliers Britpart, AllMakes before they were purchased by Brit Part & DDS (Supposedly the Best Fuel Tank Re-Manufacturer) all were the same - Wrong - Filler Pipe Too Far Forward and welded on at the wring angle.   When I complained & returned each one to each company I got the same reply ......  We have Sold/Made Hundreds and never had any complaints! 

See the attached photo's

What annoys me really is, with most re-manufactured parts particularly fuel tanks it take the same time and materials to make it right as wrong!

As I was not prepared to do what I believe many SII/IIA owner do, either Cut my Tub or Bend the Filler Pipe in order to try and accommodate the in correct Filler Pipe Position, it took a while but I found an original used SII fuel tank.

diffwhine

Absolutely agree. I think what has happened is that various manufacturers are copying copy tanks, so of course they will be wrong. The argument that they have sold hundreds without problems holds no water with me. I bet none of them can produce original tank drawings confirming where those tubes should sit and this is the result.

I had the same issue with Lightweight front outriggers. Dimensionally out by 5mm which is a long way when you want to get a bulkhead to fit. It turns out that most outriggers now are made for ease of fitment and designed to be flush welded with their facing plate proud onto the chassis side. If you do it properly and let the outrigger into the chassis side rail and weld it properly, each side is 2.5mm / 3mm too short. When I challenged the supplier, they said that Richards Chassis had given them the dimensions. Clearly nobody thought to measure an original Lightweight.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

simonbav

Can the S2C get original tank drawings from JLR to send to specific manufacturers? There's be a win-win all round.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

diffwhine

Quote from: simonbav on Sep 09, 2024, 01:54 PMCan the S2C get original tank drawings from JLR to send to specific manufacturers? There's be a win-win all round.

Highly unlikely I'm afraid. There is very little data left with JLR which is why so much (including 300 TDI stuff is being reverse engineered. Somebody may have the details, but it will probably be one of their historic suppliers.

2DieselMan

I have Several very early Original SII 58, 59 & 60 Fuel Tanks which unfortunately Leak out through the bottom Seams so can not be easily fixed.    But they would be ideal for a manufacture to measure!

diffwhine

Quote from: 2DieselMan on Sep 09, 2024, 06:07 PMI have Several very early Original SII 58, 59 & 60 Fuel Tanks which unfortunately Leak out through the bottom Seams so can not be easily fixed.    But they would be ideal for a manufacture to measure!

Would you be able to take one and measure the position of the centre of each of the two tubes in relation to to rear face of the tank and fuses fe from the sides? At least then we can check if ones we buy are within a reasonable tolerance. I think the angle of the tubes continues to be an issue as well.

2DieselMan

Diffwhine,

When I get a chance I will add the Fuel tank dimensions of my 3 early SII Fuel Tanks to the attached Fuel Tank Dimensions which was done previously by another SII Forum Member, thanks

W.Slow

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 09, 2024, 06:12 PM
Quote from: 2DieselMan on Sep 09, 2024, 06:07 PMI have Several very early Original SII 58, 59 & 60 Fuel Tanks which unfortunately Leak out through the bottom Seams so can not be easily fixed.    But they would be ideal for a manufacture to measure!

Would you be able to take one and measure the position of the centre of each of the two tubes in relation to to rear face of the tank and fuses fe from the sides? At least then we can check if ones we buy are within a reasonable tolerance. I think the angle of the tubes continues to be an issue as well.

:ditto I second that request please.

I'm glad I'm not the first to think I'm going mad trying to fit parts! Its shocking how inferior the parts we are supplied with ,this is my first land rover (I'm only 24) and every time I get a parts delivery I just dread it to be honest. Im a toolmaker by trade so working to a tolerance is my bread and butter, so perhaps I expect too much but one would think the advancement in technology would mean an improvement in quality! 

diffwhine

To be fair, they weren't that great in the beginning? I did assembly at LR and I could tell you some stories...!