News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Model making

Started by 22900013A, Aug 03, 2023, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

If you recall, we had a great thread on model kit series vehicles on the old forum, now sadly all lost it seems.
Anyway I've been back at it with this 1 Ton conversion for the revell 1/24 scale series 3.
The set includes beautifully moulded wheels & tyres, and a set of spacers to give appropriate clearance for the bigger wheels. Longer propshafts are also included. The end result looks really good, although the standard kit axles are used, not the ENV or Salisbury type.

Wittsend

Not lost ... Archived HERE

:RHD

22900013A

I find often if I try to view the threads they won't load. Anyway, glad it survived.

Craig T

That is looking good. Who makes the one-ton conversion parts?

I have the Revell 109" series III station wagon and have the conversion kit to make it into a 2A and off course will model on it on my own 1967 wagon. Just need to think of a way to change the door hinges. I was going to say I need to make a 4 cylinder engine too but looks like Motobitz have just released one so that will save some time.
https://motobitz.uk/kits--trans-kits.html
They also do 88" conversion kits which may be interesting.

As for the other forum, I have just looked for the old thread and found it but I too get the "Call to undefined function shell_exec()" warning. All I do is press the refresh page button a couple of times and it does load after a while.

Craig.

22900013A

The 1 Ton conversion is by C1 models.
I see motobitz have two 88" conversions but I can't see a difference between them?
I'll eventually do a IIA 1 ton I think, possibly as a wrecker.
I think someone on the old thread was talking about 3d printing the IIA hinges?

GHOBHW

a friend of mine showed me this kit the other week.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ak-interactive-ak35013-land-rover-88--1466863
https://ak-masters.com/app/pdf/AK35013_guide.pdf

from scrolling through the PDF it is surprisingly detailed, insanely so actually....with correct hinges!

BradfordS2

Quote from: 22900013A on Aug 04, 2023, 07:49 PMThe 1 Ton conversion is by C1 models.
I see motobitz have two 88" conversions but I can't see a difference between them?

From what I can tell the only difference between the 2 Motobitz 88" transkits is in the hard top sides. One is plain van sides and the other is with windows, export style though not Station Wagon.

Nice work on the One Ton conversion too, I also have one of those with the crane kit and pick up conversion. Had a look at the 88" transkits but they are quite expensive. You get a lot of parts, mind!

22900013A

Quote from: GHOBHW on Aug 04, 2023, 08:28 PMa friend of mine showed me this kit the other week.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ak-interactive-ak35013-land-rover-88--1466863
https://ak-masters.com/app/pdf/AK35013_guide.pdf

from scrolling through the PDF it is surprisingly detailed, insanely so actually....with correct hinges!

Yeah I've got all three of those. A bit over complicated for such a tiny kit. Some of the parts are practically microscopic.

22900013A

Quote from: BradfordS2 on Aug 04, 2023, 08:51 PM
Quote from: 22900013A on Aug 04, 2023, 07:49 PMThe 1 Ton conversion is by C1 models.

From what I can tell the only difference between the 2 Motobitz 88" transkits is in the hard top sides. One is plain van sides and the other is with windows, export style though not Station Wagon.

Nice work on the One Ton conversion too, I also have one of those with the crane kit and pick up conversion. Had a look at the 88" transkits but they are quite expensive. You get a lot of parts, mind!

Yes I did spot that when I looked again, not very obvious. Really hoping someone does the hinges as they are an obvious point of difference. To backdate to an early IIA the rear wheel arch profile would need changing too, the one in the kit is only right for 1970 onwards.

jonhutchings

Quote from: 22900013A on Aug 03, 2023, 05:07 PMIf you recall, we had a great thread on model kit series vehicles on the old forum, now sadly all lost it seems.
Anyway I've been back at it with this 1 Ton conversion for the revell 1/24 scale series 3.
The set includes beautifully moulded wheels & tyres, and a set of spacers to give appropriate clearance for the bigger wheels. Longer propshafts are also included. The end result looks really good, although the standard kit axles are used, not the ENV or Salisbury type.

Dunno about Salisbury axles The blue 109" in the background looks like it's come from  near Salisbury plain :) I love the weathering. The slightly leaking rear hub oil seal is perfect. Really lovely model. I imagine the 1 Tonne will be equally good when finished.

Ben2a

Quote from: 22900013A on Aug 03, 2023, 05:07 PMIf you recall, we had a great thread on model kit series vehicles on the old forum, now sadly all lost it seems.

Hey Dan Looking good! Dad say he can't make ladder racks that small  :RHD  #oldtimes

Ben2a

You could find someone with a 3d printer to make model axle casing  ???

22900013A

Quote from: jonhutchings on Aug 05, 2023, 03:39 PM

Dunno about Salisbury axles The blue 109" in the background looks like it's come from  near Salisbury plain :) I love the weathering. The slightly leaking rear hub oil seal is perfect. Really lovely model. I imagine the 1 Tonne will be equally good when finished.

If I did it anything like my Salisbury plain trips the whole thing would be brown! That's actually mid grey by the way, but that and marine blue do look similar in photos.

22900013A

Quote from: Ben2a on Aug 05, 2023, 10:02 PMYou could find someone with a 3d printer to make model axle casing  ???

I don't know anyone with one. Would be handy for making winches etc too.

Rustandoil