April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Model making

Started by 22900013A, Aug 03, 2023, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

Quote from: Rustandoil on Aug 06, 2023, 07:45 AMIf you like your models R/C

https://www.fmshobby.com/pages/rc-car

That looks great and not stupid money. A bit of paint and detailing and you'd have a really nice model.

Rustandoil

Yes, there are a few easy things to improve it, or just enjoy it out of the box.
I'm going to have to get one as soon as Modelsport get stock.

Craig T

I have two of the AK Interactive kits, the station wagon and the recovery truck.

As mentioned, they are very nice but they are small being 1:35 scale. I did point out a few errors or anomalies on the other thread.
The tropical roof on the station wagon gets wider at the front, the fan belt arrangement is a bit odd, and the clutch release is a series III type but hey, at that scale you are never going to see the clutch release cylinder I guess.

I have a 3D printer so could print new axles, 2286 engines etc but you can't just tell the printer what you want and out it pops. You need to make a 3D CAD model of it first and that is the tricky bit to be honest.
I made an outboard engine for a lifeboat I built a while ago. Took 3 hours or so of modelling to make the 3D file on the screen, 30 minutes to print it.

Craig.

22900013A

How difficult do you think it would be to do IIA hinges? The revell  commercial body has a side opening tailgate with hinges that could be used as a mould?

Craig T

Not sure on the hinges. I would need to model them in the CAD system at full size then scale them and have a go at printing.

I doubt my filament printer will do them, simply too small for the printer resolution but worth a go I guess. Possibly worth finding someone or a company with a resin printer and get a batch of 100 hinges done as the cost would likely be the same for 100 than one, the cost is all in the setup really rather than machine time.

Of course there are four different hinges to make for a IIA. Top and bottom are different and then you need left and right hand versions. For the station wagon you would need two sets as well for the front and rear side doors.

Craig.