Main Menu

Cheap as chips smart digital multimeter

Started by Wittsend, Oct 02, 2024, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

As seen on eBay. Far cheaper than on other online shopping channels  :gold-cup
Chancers in other places are asking £20+  :shakinghead

:ebay Smart Multimeter

I know a lot of folks (newbies) struggle with vehicle electrics. This meter is as cheap as they come and it sorts out what you are trying to measure. Just switch it on, no mode selection knob to turn. Fits in the palm of your hand. Just turn it on and probe with the leads. Takes 2 AAA batteries (not supplied). Delivery was within a couple of days. So good I've bought 2.

Tom

Nice one Alan, just ordered one as mine packed up last week. Was waiting for another aldi special buy one but this'll do the job perfectly.

Oddjob

I ike the lack of mode selection. I aways seem to have it on the wrong one and blow it up  :confused

GlenAnderson

Had to have my multimeter apart again the other day because I had blown its internal fuse (yet again) through inadvertently having it switched to the wrong range. This post has prompted me to get my wallet out and take a chance - if they're as good as you say Alan I'll probably buy a second too. 

ChrisJC

Doesn't measure current though.

Chris.

Wittsend

For 8 quid nothing's perfect. Volts & ohms will help you a lot in trouble-shooting vehicle electrics.

Alan Drover

I'll stick to my old Draper meter. It has a wide range.
Does the cheapo feature continuity?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Herald1360

Quote from: ChrisJC on Oct 02, 2024, 06:44 PMDoesn't measure current though.

Chris.

Hence easy robustness with no need for fuses.

I'll stay with my clamp type ammeter with probes for ohms and volts.

Peter Holden

It is a bit difficult for a multimeter to measure current as it would have to be part of the circuit.  I do have however a clip on induction ammeter

Peter

diffwhine

I agree Peter. One additional note of caution - many of the cheaper advertised meters which say they read current by induction are designed for mains AC systems and not DC current flow. You need to check.

You could apply Ohm's Law I suppose, or just not let the smoke out...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

simonbav

I put it in my watch list a couple of days ago and their price has dropped to £6.60 incl. postage, but not excluding VAT, so actually only a 5% reduction
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Peter Holden

I have had a really cheap multimeter that I keep in our Romahome, had it for years and it seems as accurate at the expensive one that I inherited.

Actually how often are you going to need to measure the current, as Mark says you can work it out from Ohms law fairly easily and voltage and resistance are much more important when solving electrical problems (except I suppose for charging systems).

Both the Romahome and the land rover have dash mounted voltmeters, allows me to keep an eye on the state of things and very easy to wire in.

Peter

Countryview

I've ordered one to try as I smashed the screen on mine!
1959 88" Series 2

TimV

I've used the current setting to diagnose/eliminate a parasitic discharge.

All meters have their uses.

Serious Series

I have a good meter for serious issues but find this test probe very good for quick fault finding carry it in my tools under the seat along with spare fuses lamps and some shorting links for relays.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175850309639