News:

... and the sky is gray   

Main Menu

Cheap as chips smart digital multimeter

Started by Wittsend, Oct 02, 2024, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

You can do a lot of diagnostics with a simple 12V bulb and flying leads.

For example:=

= no volts

= less than 12 volts.

= 12 volts, the bulb will glow brighter when placed across the battery terminals and the engine is charging the battery. This will be around 14.5 volts if you have an alternator and a tad more if you have a dynamo. A 12 volt bulb should be able to handle a few extra volts.

A test bulb takes up little space in your tool kit and is even cheaper than chips !

simonbav

Quote from: Serious Series on Oct 06, 2024, 10:02 AMI have a good meter for serious issues but find this test probe very good for quick fault finding carry it in my tools under the seat along with spare fuses lamps and some shorting links for relays.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175850309639

Same product yet cheaper and may yet get an accepted lower offer price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156322259367?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lypesta4rwk&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Fxm85MKLRNC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I kept a bulb and holder and crocodile wire in my toolbox until the inevitable happened  :'(
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Craig T

I've just bought a new digital multimeter from ebay as I need one that does a capacitor test.
I have a Samsung TV that I think has a failed capacitor. You turn it on, the power transformer PCB whistles then it cuts out and restarts in an infinite loop. I'm hoping I can test the capacitors, find a dodgy one and replace it.

My other multimeter which is a very old but still doing sterling work is a Gunson's Digimeter 320. I've had it for probably getting on 30 years now. I even have both the crocodile clips to screw on the probes. I lost one for a long time then found it again a few years later when I was behind the dash in my Range Rover.

Craig.