News:

... and the sky is gray   

Main Menu

SI or Early 58 SII Dash Panel ????

Started by 2DieselMan, Oct 16, 2024, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2DieselMan

SI or Early SII Dash Panel ????

I have the attached Dash panel.... It looks original and un-molested with not additional holes, Pull Switch looks correct and the 2 Lights have the slots either side of the light, so they are SI or Early 58 SII and the Main Beam Red light is the Small Type which is also I believe SI and Early SII - my original 58 summer build 59 Model has this type of Small Main Beam Light.

My question is I believe that SI & Early SII AMP -30 to +30 & Fuel E 1/2 & F Gauges have the Pointers with Dimond Arrow Ends 

But the AMP & Fuel Gauges fitted to the gauge with the Early Small Main Beam Light are different,

- AMP Gauge says C to H which looks like a later Water Temperature Gauge - maybe a previous owner changed the AMP Gauge for a Temperature gauge?

- Fuel Says 0 - 1/2 - 4/4 - when was this type of Fuel gauges Fitted ??  Could they have been Export ?? As E = Empty & F = Full

jkhackney

Looks Series 1-ish to me but bent at the top? See mine (the blue one in the slide show, 1956 86" petrol) at

https://www.lrsoc.com/web/

I'd say that the gauge is not series 1.
-jeremy

autorover1

I would say the gauge is a made up one, with actual instruments off other vehicles , possibly not even a LR as this type were used in many different combinations on British vehicles of the time.

GlenAnderson

Those two gauge segments are out of something else, and have been retrofitted by a PO. They are the type that require a voltage regulator, and were originally in a gauge cluster with the temperature at the top, and the fuel at the bottom; either a two segment 80mm or 100mm unit, or possibly a four segment 125mm one. The font looks, at first glance, similar to that used in 60s onwards Triumphs. If you look at the back, it's highly likely that they don't actually fit the housing properly (unless they have been modified), as they will be a different shape to the original type.

I maight have a pair of suitable segments if you're looking for them, but I would have to turn one of the storage sheds upside down to find them.

2DieselMan

Many thanks for the info. on the Gauge Segments.

At least on the upside the Panel itself is unmolested and only has the original holes, has 2 early indicator lights and the gauge is the SII early type with the small red main beam light - So I can fit the correct early AMP & Fuel Segment Gauges.

Thanks

Craig T

Nice to find a panel without extra holes butchered into it.

This is the panel from the 1955 series one. I guess early series 2's were the same part.

Craig.