News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

LR Optional Equipment

Started by 109+1, Aug 25, 2023, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

109+1

What's his forum name on this forum please have a winch and ptosis take off he may be interested in. Thanks.

Wittsend

Sorry - he doesn't use the forum.

Larry S

Are you referring to Rob Maude?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Peter Holden

LR Optional equipment is indeed Rob Maude, hus forum name is LR OPtional Equipment but he doesnt use the forum much, you are better off messaging him through facebook messenger of via the contact link on his web page

https://www.lroe.co.uk/contact

He is away at Leafers at the Pit this weekend

Peter

109+1

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Just like to know this stuff. It'll be out of my league, nonetheless can someone say what we're looking at?

GHOBHW

looks like a fairey drum winch with a dropping front PTO, runs from the rear of the gearbox like normal, then the long bar runs the winch.

they're pretty liable to breaking if you offroad a lot, as the PTO drops pretty low

109+1

As^^^^ but if you do a lot of winching the are very strong.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Thank you for that.

Please indulge one blokes PTO fantasy for a mo'. I assume with an overdrive, and a winch at the front, I'd be wanting a bottom PTO - this to run a hydraulic winch. Correct?

This is fantasy - thus we can't run out of money. Hence, it'd never do to go without a belt take-off at the rear. What with me also with visions of being the bloke at every showground ready to cut wood into ever smaller bits, all for no apparent reason, what else goes on the fantasy shopping-list?

I get the idea we're running out of space, not money. When do we want a centre PTO, and is this an either/or? If I read this right, we can have a bottom PTO and a side?

I suppose what I'm asking is... If we really could make-up a fantasy PTO wagon, with belts, winch and hand-throttles etc etc, shafts/ hydraulics, these all directions, all on one ridiculous vehicle... just because, how would we do this?

And is an overdrive a killer to the plan?

GHOBHW

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Aug 25, 2023, 09:56 PMThank you for that.

Please indulge one blokes PTO fantasy for a mo'. I assume with an overdrive, and a winch at the front, I'd be wanting a bottom PTO - this to run a hydraulic winch. Correct?

This is fantasy - thus we can't run out of money. Hence, it'd never do to go without a belt take-off at the rear. What with me also with visions of being the bloke at every showground ready to cut wood into ever smaller bits, all for no apparent reason, what else goes on the fantasy shopping-list?

I get the idea we're running out of space, not money. When do we want a centre PTO, and is this an either/or?

I suppose what I'm asking is... If we really could make-up a fantasy PTO wagon, with belts, winch and hand-throttles etc etc, shafts/ hydraulics, these all directions, all on one vehicle... just because, how would we do this?

And is an overdrive a killer to the plan?

an overdrive wouldn't fit with the rest of it as both the PTO and overdrive fit into the same spot, I know for a fact you can add a rear output onto the PTO as pictured here, to run a rear object too, but it would be running as the winch is running, as its all engaged from one spot. so kind of pointless.

same for the centre PTO, runs from the same spot, if you had unlimited money I guess you could make something to work everything...

if you did really want 'everything', you'd have to have a capstan winch, ran from the engine, and a rear PTO output, once again, no overdrive though, no idea how you could even fashion one to work.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Thanks. I was hoping to separate the two with hydraulics. Still. works for me, and 'kind of pointless' is very much in the spirit. Will you put the 'Sold' ticket on it or shall I?

109+1

Or have a engine driven pump belt driven electric clutch operated  controlled by elec servos seen a few setups like this on 300tdi engines think they were all using mile marker hydraulic winches.

autorover1

Turner Man. Co. Ltd (Wolverhampton) did LR approved front drum winch driven off the front of the crank .

Peter Holden

Was that the same company that was responsible for fitting the Jenbach 2 and 3 cylinder diesel engines into S1s

Most S2 owners won't know that it was a land rover approved conversion

Peter

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Accepting the whole exercise is rather daft, am I right to say, with stock items from the optional list, we run;

1) A drum-winch

Either (off the crank) or (bottom PTO via hydraulics)

AND...

2a) An overdrive.

OR...

2b) If we forego the Overdrive

A rear PTO.

Hence the whole shebang runs as one er, thing?

And, my life's work complete,  I can chop wood into ever tinier bits whilst being winched up a hill.

I'll sell tickets.