I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

CB Master Cylinder

Started by malcolm, Sep 07, 2023, 08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolm

Hi All, 1 step forward 2 back at the moment with the Land Rover, the CB master cylinder I fitted a month ago has started leaking, was in a box of donated  parts I received a while ago.
Is there a recommended maker of CB cylinders now,Girling seems to be obsolete now.
Would prefer to fit CB as car is pretty original.

Wittsend

Did you not replace the seals on an "unknown" part ???

Past Parts (S2C members can claim a discount - see our web discount pages) can sleeve master brake (and clutch) cylinders with s/s inserts - these seemingly last forever (with new seals).

:brakes

malcolm

The part was new in box no signs of age no surface rust on cylinder, although was not familiar of make union jack box genuine part made in the UK it said.
Been a while since i've done any Land Rover jobs until now, are the aftermarket cylinders any good, last time i did this it was more than 10 years ago and had no problems.
Will send off Girling cylinder to past parts, just want to get the car on the road, as we all know its a real pain of a thing to change.

Wittsend

It is always good practice to visually check the insides/bore of any brake part before fitting - no matter the source. Doesn't take long, strip it down then lubricate well with brake fluid before fitting. Saves a lot of grief in the long run.

:pedal

w3526602

Hi Malcolm,

The CB type (all of them) remind me of a plan for a model aircraft in a relevant magazine, in the mid-1950s. The plan showed one spar to be splinted, used a bit of scrap balsa and fuse wire ... coz that spar always broke anyway. I think it was the April (1st?) edition.

Dare I suggest that the pendant BRAKE master cylinder was carried over from the original 80", when the clutch linkage was rods and lever, and levers, and the brake master was under the floor, along with the "muck and the blood and the bullets".

Come the S2, the factory probably still had huge stocks of the CB cylinders to get rid of, but they took the opportunity to fit the new fangled pendant pedal boxes, but still with remote-ish reservoirs, on the footwells. I do not know, but can probably find out, how many S1 LWB were made, but lets assume they had large stocks of 1" master cylinders too.

Disregard that last paragraph ... I suddenly recalled that S1 masters were held on with three bolts, which were 50% more of a PITA than two bolts.

Whatever, the S2 brought with it the new-fangled CV cylinders to operate the clutch, probably following Ettoire (sp?) Bugatti's philosophy of "simplify and add lightness!"

The RAF, in 1959, taught me how a CB master cylinder worked, but any relevant memories are long gone. The RAF also taught me not to put Lockheed hydraulic fluid in a Girling system ... the rubber seals would swell up, and jam (jamb?) the brakes in the "hard on" position. I can't remember what happened, if anything, if you put Girling fluid in a Lockheed system. ???  I think Girling fluid was RED. We can thank NATO for requiring military vehicles to be able to use whatever consumables are available "in the field".

Mefster

I managed to get a NOS Girling CB Master cylinder from Blanchard if you need to source one...

malcolm

Unfortunately Blanchards are out of stock of Girling.
Although they said they rarely have problems with the aftermarket stuff.

Phil2014

I've got a britpart CB master cylinder in my 109, no problems with it.
Phil.
Borders area rep.