News:

... and the sky is gray   

Main Menu

Overdrive or diff changes

Started by John, Sep 19, 2023, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I think :confused on the old forum I read of the % step up in gearing of a overdrive or diff changes of other ratio's. Are these numbers some where on here?
I ask (OT question) as in a 86" I have a 2.5 petrol engine with standard S11 rear diff and gearbox, this seems very undergeared but I'm looking for a lower cost way to step up the gearing.
I have Rover 80 diffs to hand but is that the best route?
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Alan Drover

The problem with higher ratio diffs is that all gears are affected. With overdrive standard ratios are retained with the option of a 5th gear or a very useful splitter between 3rd and 4th. The problem is expense. Roamerdrives are available but at a price because you have to deal with Roamerdrive direct as there are now no UK agents selling them and a good Fairey overdrive can be pricey too if you can find one.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Adam1958

Range Rover diffs made a world of difference to my 88. I was hesitant, so bought 1, chucked it in the rear in an afternoon and tested it in 2wd for a few weeks before deciding it was a winner. The caveat being the off-roading I do isn't challenging and I don't often tow a trailer. For £80 and a gasket it's worth a crack I'd say.

John

Are there any numbers to compare a fairly/Rover 80 Diff/RR diff?
I do agree that OD is the best option but the cost of a good one for my least used series seems perhaps just to much :shakinghead

Peter Holden

To find out the didd ratio if it is not in an axle case Mark 1 tooth on the crown wheel and count how many times you have to turn the pinion for 1 complete turn
Diff ratios that I know
4.88 to 1. Very early 80" land rovers (identified by the long nose diff casing
4.7 to 1 standard leafsprung S1,2 and 3
3.54 to 1 range rover
4.3 to 1 Rover 60
Other P4 rover cars also had a choice of 4.1 and 3.9

There may well be others

In the 70s and early 80s I ran an 80" with a 2l spreadbore engine as a daily driver.  It had rover 60 diffs and 750 truck radials on it.

The 4.3 diffs were probably equivalent to an overdrive and I really enjoyed driving it.

Peter

John

^^^ thank you
I think unless I find a good/cheap overdrive, which I doubt, its 4.3's as the best option :cheers-man

Peter Holden

4.3s work really well if you can find them

Peter

John

Quote from: Peter Holden on Sep 19, 2023, 04:41 PM4.3s work really well if you can find them

Peter

Glad to say I have some in the shed :RHD

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Alan Drover on Sep 19, 2023, 10:53 AMWith overdrive.... The problem is expense. Roamerdrives are available but at a price because you have to deal with Roamerdrive direct as there are now no UK agents selling them...

The way you see this, does dealing with Roamerdrive - direct - makes the product pricier or cheaper?

Alan Drover

Probably more expensive as an agent will be importing several units which will work out cheaper for carriage than one unit
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"