S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Projekt Grenadier  (Read 16054 times)

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
Re: Projekt Grenadier
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »

I'm not sure I entirely agree. I do agree over certain safety features - seatbelts are not something I am averse to and crumping steering columns and airbags are probably a good thing, but a lot of the sensors, engine management system all the screen options and readouts just strike me as more features than benefits.

I can mostly agree with that. I was careful not to say that all of the new tech. was essential! Unfortunately a lot of it is mandated by emissions and safety legislation, unavoidable in our jurisdiction.

Just watched the latest episode.  And I wanted to be a fan of the new Grenadier.  Indeed in the early video releases I was excited and had determined that I would be a customer.

I still think a great vehicle, but I have cooled somewhat with its production leaving the UK.  Somehow that was part of the appeal.  I am not a 'vote leave' everything British is best and it should be built in Lode Lane. Nevertheless, I had thought it would be built in South Wales and I would buy one.  Now, I view it in the same category as any vehicle built in Japan, Germany or USA.  Strange, now that I feel much less inclined to purchase. No that is not true, I don't want one now and have unsubscribed to the email list. 

Sadly I am in the same boat.

Chris.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »

I still think a great vehicle, but I have cooled somewhat with its production leaving the UK. 

I feel somewhat the same, however I can understand why they did it. How often do you come across a modern, ready made, fully functional factory along with a Merc trained workforce up for grabs?

Sadly there doesn't appear to be a lot of room for sentiment in modern economics.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »

It'll be ghw ready made factory that keeps the price less than £100k.  It's saved them billions.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »

I saw this a while back ....
Who's a then ?

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2021, 11:19:37 PM »

Good Evening All,

As appealing as the vehicle is the fact that Ratcliffe was a staunch supporter of Brexit and has moved production out of the UK means I won't be a customer personally.

I'll need to keep the 110 running until diesel becomes unavailable or prohibitively expensive.

Regards

Richard

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »

Since Brexit doesn't matter to me, IF I had the $ I would like to get one, but I am not gung-ho for the same reason as Agg I want something I can repair if it breaks in the outback of the good ol USA. Not to have to get on a satellite phone and call for a $7000 tow out of some, so lost not even god can find me canyon.
   I'd love a less leaky, autobox, solid axle, 150hp, personally customizeable, 4x4, sub $30,000.

I just don't think it's going to happen.

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »

Knowing the Grenadier will be built in an ex Mercedes factory by Mercedes trained employees as opposed to a new build factory in Wales makes me more inclined to consider the Grenadier as an option.
Ineos didn't get where they are today by being commercially inept so I'm sure everything behind that decision, including the numbers, stacks up.
The $64k question now is what price will they sell them for?
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Ian59

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »

Having just watched the episode seven update where they explained how and where it would be built, as much as the sentimentalist in me would have loved to have seen it built in the UK, the level headed business man in me totally understands why they have chosen to build it where they have.
They have done a deal which nets them a £500M facility (they mentioned the figure in the clip) with fully up to date equipment and a workforce trained to Mercedes standards and quality levels straight out of the box.
Now maybe (and it’s a big maybe!) he could have achieved that in Wales (eventually) but the additional cost both in hard currency and just as importantly time (one and the same these days) would have made NO financial sense at all for his business. I personally love what this vehicle is about and I’m pretty certain I’ll buy one and if I buy one of the early ones, the chances that it will be well put together and of high quality will be much higher due to this decision than it would be if an inexperienced workforce were putting it together in a new plant.

Taking the sentimental emotion out if it and looking at the product, I see an awful lot to like.
Galvanised shell with aluminium doors and bonnet, BMW engines, Magna drive train etc. Some of the best in the business pulling together to make a proper replacement in the spirit of Defender but with most if not all the shortcomings addressed. What’s not to like?

Sure, we would all like it for £25k but this will be a niche vehicle that will need to claw back its investment over a shortish period and therefore it’s just not going to happen.
I expect he will pitch it between £45-55k which in the current market is about right.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »

I think you are spot on with that message.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »

I agree too. :ditto
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »

Ian59 an excellent summary which all makes sense to me.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2021, 07:16:05 PM »

Just watching highlights of the Giro d'Italia and spotted one. Ineos Grenadiers team are using them in their support vehicles. It's part of the testing programme and they'll be at all three Grand Tours.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »

I was on the Giro... Might have been me driving it!

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »

I was on the Giro... Might have been me driving it!

Well diffwhine I admire your tenacity in driving in the conditions they had today  :tiphat

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2021, 09:21:32 PM »

T'was not me... I was on the Giro last October... Ours was a 2A prototype. These ones are the 2Bs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.