What did you do with your Land Rover in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2023, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisythelandie

New tyres arrived for the Landy, just need to have the Colway remoulds removed and the rims blasted and painted.
Anyone want the Colway 205 x 16s for a project, good condition and plenty tread left but must be over fifteen years old, would do for renovation project or off road use.
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

Space-Kook

New fuel tank arrived today, will spray it with some hammerite stone-chip stuff and pop it in tomorrow!
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Alan Drover

I sealed the interior of my new tank with "Slosh" from Rustbuster. It helps prevent internal corrosion. I used their Tank Kleen SP10 to clean the interior before the sealer.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Whilst working on a spin on oil filter conversion (which I'm selling at the Cromford Rally) to fit a 2¼L engine this little chap came round for lunch.

Beowulf

This morning my Wolf, my Border Terrier and I went to the groomers, and now 2 of that trio look very smart  :cool
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Peter Holden

Not directly related to my land rover in a way but I attacked the scrap 5 bearing diesel engine to get the sump for onward relay via the rally, the bottom end looks quite goo in spite of water getting in an emulsifying the oil, anyone want the crank for free?  It would have to be for collection or relay via the rally.  I cant get the pistons and conrods out as they have rusted in (the engine was like this when I got it without a head rather than it going straight for scrap.)  The flywheel housing and flywheel are available under the same rules.

I also reorganised the garage a bit so that I could find the oil pump for the spreadbore engine again to go to the rally for my nephew and Diffwhine to cast their eyes over to decide what level of reconditining is needed.

Peter

DogDave

Quote from: Wittsend on Aug 03, 2023, 03:06 PMWhilst working on a spin on oil filter conversion (which I'm selling at the Cromford Rally) to fit a 2¼L engine this little chap came round for lunch.

Interested in the spin oil conversion assuming if also fits the S3?

Wittsend

It is the same set-up on the early S3 engines, not sure about metric engines.

William

Drove my 1978 Series 3 109" from Aberystwyth to South London today - 244 miles, 8 hours and 16 gallons of petrol.
Great drive, other than the last hour of horror through London. Vehicle performed brilliantly  :RHD

Wittsend

That's 15.25 mpg.

I would have thought it should do better than that, unless you were thrashing it down the motorways at 60+

Maybe a bit of tuning will get you to 20 or just over ???

William

Quote from: Wittsend on Aug 03, 2023, 10:08 PMThat's 15.25 mpg.

I would have thought it should do better than that, unless you were thrashing it down the motorways at 60+

Maybe a bit of tuning will get you to 20 or just over ???

The 109 is quite a lot thirstier than my 88 - appreciably so. I can't remember what the weight difference is between the 109 and 88 but I think it's a fair amount. I also had about half a ton of stuff in the back, including a Villiers stationary engine rescued from a scrap dealer for my son's DofE project  :cool

Larry S

Spent the day trying to fine tune the Zenith, RPM's and timing. 

We left it at a Dwell of 55° and idling at 600/650rpm.

Here a clicking, so will need to check the tappets.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

RATA1

Setup my swivel hubs and sorted out the stub axles. 50lb was the most I felt I could tighten them!

Will take them off the axle (fitted temporarily to get them set up) and put leather gaters on them.
The stub axles were put in Bilt Hamber Deox overnight.
S2 88
D4 XXV

Peter Holden

Fitted an extra USB socket to drive my new GPS speedometer and Sat Nav, these are ignition switch controlled so can be left plugged in all the time, in the process I discovered that the screenwash pump has packed up so a new one on order to arrive tomorrow..  Tomorrow is also a tip run in the rain, the last before the rally so as soon as it dries up I shall start loading the camping gear and stuff to be relayed, fortunately not so much this time.  Still no show ith the  engine oil so the oil change will have to wait.  Fedex are taking the mick and I have lambasted them in an email but it wont have any effect, they dont care about customer satisfaction.  A phone call tomorrow to the seller cancelling the order

Peter

Exile

Quote from: Larry S on Aug 04, 2023, 02:37 AMWe left it at a Dwell of 55° and idling at 600/650rpm.

I was setting the dwell angle too, today.

On a 2.3 petrol engine in an early One Ten.

The required angle on its Ducellier distributor was 57 degrees.

Not easy to adjust the points gap so finely, but managed it in the end.