What did you do with your Series 2 in September ...

Started by Wittsend, Sep 01, 2023, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Started it up, drove it out the shed, replaced the roof on the shed, drove it back in.

Craig.

Alan Drover

I gave the Series 3 a good polish and waxing and then took photos for the insurance valuation.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

109+1

Took photos of one of my projects to list on here for sale.

Adam1958

Quote from: Space-Kook on Sep 06, 2023, 07:33 PMHad a crack at tidying the wiring and touching up some bits under the bonnet, also tried my hand at cleaning + refurbing the distributor.
Will roll the car into the garage tonight and tomorrow I'll learn how timing works!

My cold weather project arrived in the post today too, a cute 1/12 RC series 2. Planning to 3d print some new wings with lights and the correct grill to stick on the front.

Loving those wing mirrors!

RATA1

Got the '59 engine on the stand!
S2 88
D4 XXV

Gareth

Fitted 4 new shock absorbers. Just standard Britpart-Girling. I had to fit longer than standard, as it's got parabolic springs which raise it about 1.5 inches.

The ride is transformed, much smoother than it was. Previous shockers were 8 years old and seen a fair bit of action.

Alan Drover

An extra coat of wax polish on the bonnet and tops of the front wings which catch the sun.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RobS

Decided to sort the oil leak out from around the crank pully, also going to redo the sump as well, didn't take long to strip down to get good access, the mod I did to the wiring made the removal of the front panel assemble a lot easier.

Came out as one and will be fitted back in as one.

RobS. :cool

Oddjob

Quote from: Gareth on Sep 14, 2023, 06:26 PMFitted 4 new shock absorbers. Just standard Britpart-Girling. I had to fit longer than standard, as it's got parabolic springs which raise it about 1.5 inches.

The ride is transformed, much smoother than it was. Previous shockers were 8 years old and seen a fair bit of action.

Can I ask where you got longer shocks from please? The oil fell out of my rear shocks about 10 years ago and I should get round to replacing them!

Alan Drover

Mine came with a parabolic spring kit from Dingocroft.
Front shock part number ZZDC 6012 for 88 & 109. Rear (88) ZZDC6013. They are Britpart ones with yellow polybushes.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Larry S

I built a new tarp support for when Grover is stored.  The shop roof is iffy when it comes to rain and there are also birds that like to roost in the rafters above.

Hmm... pictures aren't wanting to attach.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Gareth

Quote from: Oddjob on Sep 14, 2023, 07:45 PM
Quote from: Gareth on Sep 14, 2023, 06:26 PMFitted 4 new shock absorbers. Just standard Britpart-Girling. I had to fit longer than standard, as it's got parabolic springs which raise it about 1.5 inches.

Can I ask where you got longer shocks from please? The oil fell out of my rear shocks about 10 years ago and I should get round to replacing them!

The rears are standard Defender shocks. They are just long enough. In the front I have fitted a pair of old- stock Britpart 1 ton shocks. They are longer than standard and have the eye fitting at each end. (Defender fronts have a pin fitting at each end)

I just checked and Paddocks stock them both.

Rear part numbers

Front part numbers

Oddjob

Thanks. Didn't realise Defender ones fit.  :gold-cup

Gareth

Quote from: Oddjob on Sep 15, 2023, 01:06 PMThanks. Didn't realise Defender ones fit.  :gold-cup

Fronts went straight on no issue. Had to make a special tool to compress the bushes and washer to get the split pin in. Can send pictures of that if you need them.

Rears I needed to clean up the top mountings with a bit of sandpaper, as the Defender bushes already fitted to the shock absorbers had a metal tube which was a tight fit on the lug. They needed a bit of persuasion to get on, and I used copper slip to aid removal next time.

Bloke

Parked up the 6 cylinder ready for a spot of major heart surgery (complete re-wire), and some other odds and sods that need doing, in readiness for the Classic Motor Show at the NEC.

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)