What did you do with your Series 2 in July ...

Started by Wittsend, Jul 05, 2023, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WJS

:RHD 
It's been insured for Fire and Theft only while SORNed so two days ago I insured it for the road: a whopping £3.87 a month extra fully comp! Then yesterday that nice algorithm at DVLA confirmed I could drive it on the road. So I did.

Took it for a bit of on-roading for the first time in about a decade.
Half a mile up the hill and back down. Some snagging to do but I am quite pleased. :cheers-man

Gearbox and clutch replaced, new speedo cable, seatbox repaired, new doors fitted and painted, electrics rehashed, brakes .... that's where the snagging's needed, coolant temp gauge (it's a 19J so not compatible with the panel gauge), indicator switch stripped and rewired (port and starboard lights on a "new" panel to the right of the steering wheel), LEDs all round, apart from the headlights. A local garage will give it a proper look over when I've cleared out all the tools, leftover parts, empty fluid bottles, boxes of fasteners and oily rags.

Still to do (will it ever end?): map and wrap the "loom", insulate the roof with leftovers from the Vivaro camper-conversion, deaden the doors and rear tub (ditto), fit the LED work lamps, sort out the door-catches and locks, sliding window snibs etcetera....

And I suppose I should tidy up the yard so my grandsons don't trip over the cr@p I've left lying about.

I've really only worked on this since October 2022 though I've had the replacement gearbox since 2012, I think, and the vehicle itself I bought in 1986. This isn't the first time I've posted a list of things I've done to it. Here it is on a borrowed trailer last August.
You cannot view this attachment.
It's dark just now. I'll take some new photos tomorrow. Weather permitting.
Formerly on here as Willie Zinc Layer.

Betsy1969

Quote from: TugboatTim on Jul 22, 2023, 08:24 AMA shiny new arrival from Richard's

Are you converting it into a plane ?

Betsy1969

Came back from 2 weeks holiday and put the battery charger  back on   She's been off charge for at least a month in the garage and showed 12.7 volts when switching the charger on , within seconds it was at 13.2 and still rising. It's a smart charger so I'll leave it connected for a while

Kaney

Not done yet but I have small round mirrors on the wings at the moment and bought 2 extra long mirror arms as from what I have read they are better on the door hinges also 2 rectangle 7x5 mirrors as I am going to replace the round ones for the bigger 7x5 mirrors and then put the round ones on the longer arms then onto the door hinges and set for parking ie what have most of you found best if you have both sets on your Landy.

diffwhine

Careful where you go with that... It could get out of hand.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

kaney, we really must meet up at Curlys then you can inspect my wing mirrors.  Life has become somewhat easier of late so there may be a possibility soon.  Phoos show mine and the page from the parts book

Peter

ChrisJC

Been out measuring potholes and logging them with the County Council. Whether they get repaired is a different question.

Chris.

Kaney

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jul 23, 2023, 01:37 PMkaney, we really must meet up at Curlys then you can inspect my wing mirrors.  Life has become somewhat easier of late so there may be a possibility soon.  Phoos show mine and the page from the parts book

Peter
LOL look at my wing mirrors.
We can when you get back if that suits as I am guessing your busy getting ready for the rally I would have liked to come but my son is home on the 11th for a short period (Navy) but if "IF this rain stops" before that would be great as I just got the Landy back on Friday but a few more things to go back in for in a couple of weeks ie fuel tank changing and some electrics. Regards Peter

Larry S

Not a lot has happened with Grover of late other than working on roof vents.  Following are a few other highlights though!

Had to get gas yesterday. 

Received a set of trop top spacers from a fellow club member last week.  They are absolutely wonderful, rather chuffed with them, thanks Malcom!! 

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

AlbaTiVo

Replaced all of the tie rod ends.

All the best!

Steven

nathanglasgow

Now busy laying down a coat of my best orange peel finish and painting the grass red.

GHOBHW

Quote from: nathanglasgow on Jul 24, 2023, 01:59 PMNow busy laying down a coat of my best orange peel finish and painting the grass red.

almost factory finish :RHD

Peter Holden

Painted a wheel and left it in the back of the land rover to dry.  Will fit it tomorrow and paint the wheel that comes off

Peter

Tom66

Just starting the bulkhead. New bulkhead foot in place. Some angle tacked in to hold some form of rigidity, Im not confident enough to go chopping huge sections out so just cutting little and replacing.

Peter Holden

Painted a wheel,2 trips to the tip with garden rubbish, a trip to the garden centre to buy some bags of compost and a new garden fork.  Replaced the duff heater rheostat switch with one from the "stores" and investigated a very slight hardly noticeable diesel leak which has reulted in the ordering of a replacement pipe.

Peter