News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

What's this?

Started by simonbav, Jan 16, 2024, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

Good morning folks,

I was just browsing photos and noticed this metal bar. Is it a seat belt mount? I've not seen anything like it before.

???
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Birdsnest55

That is for seat belt mount. It is meant to be a top mount to fit into the hard top. There is different type bracket for the bottom.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

simonbav

Cheers Paul. It's the top one someone's put in at the bottom.  :confused
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Craig T

Looking at the gear lever and steering column position I reckon that's a IIA / IIB forward control Land Rover.
They were well known for having the full trim as well for some unknown reason? You can see the top of the wheel arch along the seatbox edge as well.

I have a IIB forward control parts manual at home so could look to see if it shows seatbelt brackets but doubt it does really, probably not fitted as standard.

Craig.

autorover1

I posted that picture of my old 1968  2B FC and  the original Rover mounts and  Irvin belts that were with in the vehicle when I purchased it . It was a Merryweather Fire tender conversion and it had the label to say the mounts met the BS regulations of the time . I used later Defender reel belts that have the lower belt end attached to the reel so this mount was not used  . The original upper mounts were on tub rail behind seats  as per Bonneted control  vehicles and it all looked original with no evidence of modification or add on's

w3526602

my old 1968  2B FC ............it had the label to say the mounts met the BS regulations of the time.

Hi,

Referring to my (now questionable) memory, cars had to be factory fitted with seat belt mounts, from 1962 ...

... and supplied with seat belts fitted from 1965.

Er, browsing the RAF library, possibly HANSARD, I read a Minister's "reply", that seat belts would NOT be subject to Purchase Tax.

I suspect that fitted belts would be included in the total to be assessed for Purchase Tax.

Memory tells me that from 1967, new cars had to be fitted before , delivery ...

Doh! My ladies demand my presence back on the bed, cos lunch is ready.

autorover1

When I had my first new S3, the belts were not fitted at the factory but by the dealer. Purchase tax had just finished, but there was  Car tax of I think 10%, plus VAT at 8% ?. I looked up the regs. and realised I needed the belts to use it on the road , but the dealer didnt have to fit them before sale. ( I understand at the time the idea was you could decide which style or make of  belts you would like fitting). I elected to fit them myself on the forecourt before driving it away & save the cost the dealer would charge to supply & fit. I bought the genuine LR belts separately from the same dealer parts dept. with the BL 25% employee discount.   Just prised out the plugs in the anchorages & screwed in the belt fixings. Took about 15 mins using the vehicle tool kit! 

Craig T

I had this label in my Land Rover when I got it fitted on the end of the dash panel.
Says about the safety anchorages in this vehicle complying with Brit STD A U 48, 1965

Seeing as one end of the seatbelt was just bolted through the side of the aluminium seat box without so much as a penny washer on the inside, I doubt they really did!

I lost it off course in the repaint but managed to find reproductions online.

Craig.

autorover1

Quote from: Craig T on Jan 16, 2024, 12:30 PMSeeing as one end of the seatbelt was just bolted through the side of the aluminium seat box without so much as a penny washer on the inside, I doubt they really did!

Craig.
I doubt it was an original anchorage if that was the case.

Craig T

Yes, I think they were added later probably when the Land Rover came back to the UK. It was an export model that was sold in Malta so maybe they didn't have seatbelts at all out there or it was shipped without them and they were fitted locally.

The belts did fit well but didn't use any proper anchorages. Side of the aluminium seatbox and a long coach bolt through the centre B pillar. The anchorage behind the seats were the only ones fitted into proper threaded plates on the underside of the seatbox return panel / centre row seat kick panel.

I had new belts made to the same specifications but changed the anchorages to use the proper Land Rover fittings at the door pillar and the seatbox locations. They are fixed belts, lift up Britax catches, and grey webbing material.

Craig.