POLL: Which paint have you used on your Series 2 ?

Started by Kev, Sep 28, 2024, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

What it says on the tin really, I'm looking at buying some mid grey coach paint, how did the brands you used cover and match LRC 008 ?
Youtube: kevlandy
Instagram: leo_sprayer
Fakebook: Alston Moor

Kev

I think I cocked up the poll, Tractol is showing in bold green for some reason.🤔
Youtube: kevlandy
Instagram: leo_sprayer
Fakebook: Alston Moor

Wittsend

Paintman every time, they'll even do you the colour(s) in aerosol cans.

or

Oilyrag921

I bought Tractol DBG from Smith and Allen, I can't fault it but neither have I tried the other brands

Series2ajosh

Buzzweld for everything below the body line aside from the engine block and cylinder head (paintman engine enamel!) , and my plan is for paintman for everything above! (Although I'm not at that stage yet!)

Tom

I'm with Josh.
Buzzweld for everything below, and paintman above.

I did use buzzweld for the body years ago, but I found the colour was just too different to the other bronze greens I'd tried. Good paint though!

Ken

Years ago I used to use Tecaloid. Very good coach paint and a large range of colours but in order to get a good flow and gloss it had a long flash off time making it susceptible to floating dust.
Now if you search for Tecaloid which folded years ago from its base in Birmingham you find tractol being described as Tecaloid. It isn't though it's good paint having a faster flash off than Tecaloid and a good gloss.
On my car now I've used Paintman a good enamel but I've chosen semi gloss which has some difficulties in application. When applied by brush there are some variations in the thickness of the coat though it's not possible to see this as the painted surface shows just a wet gloss finish. When dried however into its semi gloss condition it shows patches where the coat varies in thickness. A roller produces a totally unacceptable finish being badly marked up.
I found it tricky to use, best with a two inch brush used very carefully with the thickness of coat as near to the point of sagging as you can judge.
I can't comment on gloss finish but imagine it's easier

Craig T

If you are going to spray paint it, give 2k or 2-pack paints a thought.

I'd never considered it before now but, I decided to paint my series one chassis in RAF blue-grey in 2K. It goes on very nicely and if you get fast hardener and fast thinner, it dries in no time.

Having that colour mixed was easy, It's BS381c 633 so any good paint shop can mix it. The proper, pinkish, Dove grey is harder to mix as it isn't a BS or any other standard colour but if I can find it in 2K, the body panels will be going the same way.

Craig.

Ken

I've also been using some yacht enamel from a local chandler. Good paint in a range of colours though I didn't look at them in any detail as I wanted black. It has the highest gloss I've ever seen and must be durable considering where it's intended to be used.

GHOBHW

I bought some generic black skip paint off ebay.

sprayed really well and stuck like anything, but with a nice finish :RHD

months later its hard and you can give it a good wack, very soft for the first few weeks though!

this was also my first time in history spraying anything!

for the body I'm going to use paint man and praying it will turn out as good as the chassis did...

malcolm

Have always used 2K sprayed outside,I'm fortunate i have the space to do it remotely away from anyone.
I know its not ideal, but the few times i have sprayed I use a twin filter mask doing a couple of panels at a time.
It suits my needs also drys quickly especially on a hot day.

Dsherriff

This poll has come up at the right time for me, I am currently doing some bulk head repairs which provides an opportunity to do some painting.

I'm leaning towards paintman using a brush as I dont have a sprayer. Anyone used a brush? How were the results and any advice would be most welcome

Ken

See above re brush and semi gloss. I imagine gloss would be easier.

JReid

Used POR on both axles, long process but great long lasting finish