News:

April showers   ... 

Main Menu

Just An Old-Fashioned Anglo-Saxon

Started by Beowulf, Jul 08, 2023, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf

Good morning all,

I've wanted to change my visible User name LN11AA498A (yawn borrrrring) for a while and this new forum has given me the push to do it.  And so, in recognition of my Anglo-Saxon ancestry, I've chosen Beowulf (Bēowulf) .

My Christian name has Anglo-Saxon origin (Freodheric - peaceful ruler), ancestors with my family name lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture, and coincidently, my place of birth is an arrow-shot away from the site of the 1066 Battle of Hastings, which ended Anglo-Saxon control circa 450 - 1066.

Beowulf -

-  "an Old English epic poem in the tradition of Germanic legend"

- "The first manuscript was written in the language of the Saxons, Old English"

- "It is one of the most important and most often translated works of Old English literature"

- "heroic poem, the highest achievement of Old English literature" (Britannica).

- " the oldest surviving epic poem in the English language and the earliest piece of vernacular European literature".

- "an Old English epic poem celebrating the legendary Scandinavian hero Beowulf.

Some suggest that Beowulf was first composed in the 7th century at Rendlesham, East Anglia because the Sutton Hoo ship-burial shows close connections with Scandinavia.

How to pronounce Beowulf (Bēowulf) - Bear Wolf or Bay-uh-Wolf, I prefer Bear Wolf.

I apologize if you're thoroughly bored by this, but at least it can`t be any worse than reading the Sunday papers, can it  :nixweiss

Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare